Overview of job
As the Strategy Director you will be responsible for developing transformative strategic thinking and ideas across a diverse range of high profile clients. Through natural curiosity and thought-provoking behaviour, you will constantly bring interesting things from the outside world in, to keep the agency’s work fresh and innovative. You’ll be expected to collaborate with teams across the agency to ensure these strategies are brought to life in the most innovative, impactful way possible. The Strategy Director is also responsible for driving the overall quality of product across the wider agency via training and coaching.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the National Head of Strategy
3 best things about the job:
- Getting to shape our agency’s future by developing breakthrough strategic thinking and developing award winning, creatively impressive work.
- Getting to grips with clients at all stages of their product and brand lifecycles. From new, disruptive tech brands, to FMCG legends, local heroes to global franchises. At Wavemaker you’ll take on them all.
- Working with the most exciting tools and insights roadmap in the business. From our award winning Wavemaker Momentum approach to the new systems and tools coming down the pipelines, at Wavemaker you’ll have the best tools for the job.
Measures of success –
In three months:
- Been exposed to each of the teams within Wavemaker Sydney and learnt their key planning & campaign cycles.
- Understood the Wavemaker ANZ planning process and how this intersects with Wavemaker Momentum.
- Started to deliver strategic responses to Nestle briefs and begun building a rapport with clients.
In six months:
- Mastered the finer points of the Wavemaker planning process (through either a full Wavemaker Momentum study on a category or day-to-day use) and provided guidance and training to the client teams on this process.
- Been introduced to the wider Wavemaker network and started to build your profile across all of our five offices in Australia and New Zealand.
- Conducted from beginning to end at least one paid for Wavemaker Momentum study.
- Become a trusted, first point of contact for Nestle ANZ.
- Meaningfully contributed to strategy responses for new business pitches.
- Written or edited award entries.
In 12 months:
- Become an integral part of the Wavemaker new business team – a go-to person for pitch strategy work.
- Materially contributed to the overall Wavemaker planning process – improving how we approach and solve tough problems for clients.
- Materially contributed to a thought leadership piece that helps build Wavemaker’s profile amongst clients and the industry.
- Become a trusted point of contact for strategic advice across all Wavemaker Sydney’s Group Business Directors.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Excelling at communications strategy on the highest profile projects. Leading development of best-in-class strategic recommendations – a clear and powerful direction for all communications, often to include brand and creative development.
- Build the strongest and deepest client relationships through best in class strategy
- Manage and develop team members careers through regular coaching and constructive feedback
- Forge an inspiring relationship with data and analytics teams to uncover unique and powerful data-led & consumer insights.
- Sell in brave ideas backed up by sound strategic rationale.
- Ensure developed strategic direction have clear and well-articulated implications for connections and media planning, and have a good working knowledge of channel planning, linked primarily to an understanding of reach.
- Collaborate with implantation and activation team members to ensure the strategic direction works with the channels planned and campaign execution ideas.
- Where needed, drive the development of pitch-winning strategic solutions.
What you will need:
- Willingness to collaborate and draw in experts when needed.
- Positive, articulate and an outstanding creative problem solver.
- Ability to tell a compelling story through data, business context and human behaviour.
- Willingness to be hands on and a team player.
- High level of EQ which allows you to develop strong working relationships within the agency, with other agency partners, the media and importantly senior clients.
- Minimum 5-8 years agency experience (media and/or creative)
- Professional, ambitious and someone keen to develop the agency profile through outstanding work.
Wavemaker is a billion dollar revenue agency that sits at the heart of GroupM and WPP. Our ambition is to be the most distinctive and admired media, content and technology agency in the world.
Wavemaker is a global network that operates locally in over 90 countries and 139 offices. We are aligned behind our purchase journey obsession, and we help our clients translate audience behaviours and insights in to smart decisions for today and tomorrow. Our commitment to our clients it to be the “Future Makers’. We demonstrate this in how we think, how we work and our relationship to technology and content to better serve their needs. We are leading the way in re-inventing the role of a media agency in the digital age, embracing media planning and buying, but fit for the modern marketing requirements of seamlessly connecting media, content and technology.
To do this, we attract experts from diverse backgrounds that can share in our vision for the future.
We believe in the essential relationship between the vitality of our 8,500 people and our commercial success. This can best be encapsulated in the values we uphold, and the way in which we demonstrate our commitment to them. We are Passionate, Agile, Collaborative, Entrepreneurial and Diverse (PACED)
With PACED as our backdrop, we require our people to be self-starters, with high standards. We know that ‘great teams still have star players’, and we expect everyone to bring their own uniqueness to the party and contribute their value with their own flair. We do not tolerate exclusion of team members and their ideas. We are here to make waves with our clients, and we can only do that as a collective.
GroupM leads and shapes media markets by delivering performance enhancing media products and services, powered by data and technology. Our global network agencies and businesses enable our people to work collaboratively across borders with the best in class, providing them the opportunity to accelerate their progress and development. We are not limited by teams or geographies; our scale and diverse range of clients lets us be more adventurous with our business and talent. We give our talent the space, support and tools to innovate and grow.
GroupM APAC is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our people are our strength so we respect and nurture their individual talent and potential.