Overview of job
As the Strategy Director you will be responsible for developing transformative strategic thinking and ideas across a diverse range of high profile clients. Through natural curiosity and thought-provoking behaviour, you will constantly bring interesting things from the outside world in, to keep the agency’s work fresh and innovative. You’ll be expected to collaborate with teams across the agency to ensure these strategies are brought to life in the most innovative, impactful way possible. The Strategy Director is also responsible for driving the overall quality of product across the wider agency via training and coaching.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the National Head of Strategy
3 best things about the job:
- Getting to shape our agency’s future by developing breakthrough strategic thinking and developing award winning, creatively impressive work.
- Getting to grips with clients at all stages of their product and brand lifecycles. From new, disruptive tech brands, to FMCG legends, local heroes to global franchises. At MEC you’ll take on them all.
- Working with the most exciting tools and insights roadmap in the business. From our award winning MEC Momentum approach to the new systems and tools coming down the pipelines, at MEC you’ll have the best tools for the job.
Measures of success –
In three months:
- Been exposed to each of the teams within MEC Sydney and learnt their key planning & campaign cycles.
- Understood the MEC ANZ planning process and how this intersects with MEC Momentum.
- Started to deliver strategic responses to Nestle briefs and begun building a rapport with clients.
In six months:
- Mastered the finer points of the MEC planning process (through either a full MEC Momentum study on a category or day-to-day use) and provided guidance and training to the client teams on this process.
- Been introduced to the wider MEC network and started to build your profile across all of our five offices in Australia and New Zealand.
- Conducted from beginning to end at least one paid for MEC Momentum study.
- Become a trusted, first point of contact for Nestle ANZ.
- Meaningfully contributed to strategy responses for new business pitches.
- Written or edited award entries.
In 12 months:
- Become an integral part of the MEC new business team – a go-to person for pitch strategy work.
- Materially contributed to the overall MEC planning process – improving how we approach and solve tough problems for clients.
- Materially contributed to a thought leadership piece that helps build MEC’s profile amongst clients and the industry.
- Become a trusted point of contact for strategic advice across all MEC Sydney’s Group Business Directors.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Excelling at communications strategy on the highest profile projects. Leading development of best-in-class strategic recommendations – a clear and powerful direction for all communications, often to include brand and creative development.
- Build the strongest and deepest client relationships through best in class strategy
- Manage and develop team members careers through regular coaching and constructive feedback
- Forge an inspiring relationship with data and analytics teams to uncover unique and powerful data-led & consumer insights.
- Sell in brave ideas backed up by sound strategic rationale.
- Ensure developed strategic direction have clear and well-articulated implications for connections and media planning, and have a good working knowledge of channel planning, linked primarily to an understanding of reach.
- Collaborate with implantation and activation team members to ensure the strategic direction works with the channels planned and campaign execution ideas.
- Where needed, drive the development of pitch-winning strategic solutions.
What you will need:
- Willingness to collaborate and draw in experts when needed.
- Positive, articulate and an outstanding creative problem solver.
- Ability to tell a compelling story through data, business context and human behaviour.
- Willingness to be hands on and a team player.
- High level of EQ which allows you to develop strong working relationships within the agency, with other agency partners, the media and importantly senior clients.
- Minimum 5-8 years agency experience (media and/or creative)
- Professional, ambitious and someone keen to develop the agency profile through outstanding work.
MEC is committed to growth. Growth for our people, our clients and our industry. MEC pushes the boundaries of what’s possible in order to thrive in ~ Ad Ops ~ Analytics ~ Brand Partnerships ~ Content Marketing ~ Data ~ Insight ~ Integrated Planning ~ Mobile ~ Multi-cultural ~ Performance Marketing ~ Planning & Buying ~ Programmatic ~ Search ~ Social ~ Sport, Entertainment & Cause Marketing. Our 5,000 highly talented and motivated people work with category leading advertisers in 93 countries and we are a founding partner of GroupM. To find out more, visit us at www.mecglobal.com #dontjustlivethrive
GroupM leads and shapes media markets by delivering performance enhancing media products and services, powered by data and technology. Our global network agencies and businesses enable our people to work collaboratively across borders with the best in class, providing them the opportunity to accelerate their progress and development. We are not limited by teams or geographies; our scale and diverse range of clients lets us be more adventurous with our business and talent. We give our talent the space, support and tools to innovate and grow.
GroupM APAC is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our people are our strength so we respect and nurture their individual talent and potential.