The Talent Director will be responsible for designing and supporting innovative initiatives and solutions through the areas of – attraction, development, engagement and transformation – that will complement and mirror the current and future strategic business objectives of MediaCom and deliver both personal and organisational improvements in performance. This is a part-time Melbourne based position (Or shared full time position shared with a sister WPP agency/s) supporting our MediaCom and Blaze based businesses (circa 80 FTE).
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the MediaCom Head of Talent (based in Sydney)
3 best things about the job
- A role that is critical to the success of the business. You will partner with the Chief Operating Officer and have the opportunity to drive transformational change
- A passionate office of 60 brilliant minds who embody People First, Better Results
- The opportunity to work in a fast paced industry where no day is the same, giving you exposure to a range of departments and functions
Measures of Success -
In three months, you would have:
- Established a relationship with the Melbourne COO and Melbourne Management Team, built on providing trusted advice and guidance
- Developed an understanding of the principles of media planning and buying, media agency client management and stakeholder negotiations and the talent required to fulfil these tasks
- Become familiar with the internal systems and processes associated with the Talent team function
- Developed an understanding of the key talent challenges within the agency
In six months, you would have:
- Developed a talent plan for the Melbourne agency that aligns to the Agency vision and direction,
- Developed strong partnerships with the Group’s internal providers and leveraging internal resources to meet talent needs.
- Played a significant role in driving successful positive culture change in the business
In 12 months, you would have:
- Positively and visibly impacted staff engagement and attrition
- Be seen as trusted business partner to the COO and Melbourne Management Team
- Played a crucial role in the evolution of the agency
Responsibilities of the role:
- In line with our global vision and the APAC MediaCom talent strategy, support the Head of Talent and Chief Operating Officer in implementing an innovative people strategy that embodies the MediaCom culture, spirit and business focus and manage the buy-in, training and behaviour change required to achieve this
- Develop appropriate people change programs to support the Chief Operating Officer and Melbourne leadership team as they embark on the agency’s transformation plan, ensuring Mediacom’s People First philosophy is at the heart of how change is driven through the agency.
- Be an advocate of, cascade and embed the Global MediaCom behaviours to ensure we are driving a culture of outstanding client service; create (and refresh) programmes to ensure employees live and breathe the company behaviours
- Support the Head of Talent and Chief Operating Officer in designing and implementing retention and engagement strategies which are relevant to our agency and unique people challenges
- Be invested in our people and have a solid point of view on who is excelling at their positions and their needs
- Ensure effective, consistent and timely internal communications throughout the Melbourne organisation
- Support the Head of Talent in collating learning’s from key data points including exit interviews, engagement surveys, turnover, informal feedback forums/ methods to inform and continually improve our attraction and engagement strategies. Be a trusted confidante of our people, and ensure they feel comfortable to share any concerns or challenges they are facing with you
- Help develop programmes (professional, social and cultural) that enable everyone to progress their lives in a richer more enjoyable way, including a clear and aligned ‘health and wellbeing’ proposition that provides a path to enabling a balanced life
- Ensure best practice on all issues relating to employment law is enforced in partnership with GroupM Talent
- Where relevant, ensure global alignment on MediaCom key initiatives or projects.
- Develop an appropriate talent growth strategy for the Melbourne team, leveraging off our WPP talent partners/ programs and the training/ development interventions identified are aligned to the team’s growth needs as well as our agency Vision.
- Manage the development of talent maps against other linchpin roles, identifying high potentials and ensuring action plans are created and delivered on
- Have a view on key talent; proactively advise on potential issues before they become reactive
- Ensure employee onboarding to MediaCom Melbourne is best in class every new employee has a consistent first impression of our business
- Assist the Head of Talent in the development and promotion of the MediaCom Employee Value Proposition (EVP). This should represent a consistent message in both our internal and external communications
- Develop a Talent Acquisition Strategy for the Melbourne market, identifying and maintaining competitive intelligence on key industry talent, building a Melbourne talent ‘database’ to ensure we can quickly approach top talent ahead of our growth needs
- Partner with GroupM Talent Acquisition to promote a more robust interview and selection process and develop our hiring managers on how to source and assess the talent we will need to grow our business.
- Ensure hiring managers are screening a diverse range of candidates in order to build out unique skills and abilities, sourcing talent directly through their broad network.
- Ensure the MediaCom interview process is consistent and well managed, with candidates receiving timely feedback. Our vision is to ensure everyone who interviews with MediaCom will have a great interview experience and positive opinion of the business, whether successful or not
What you will need:
- Demonstrated experience in working as a true strategic HR/ Talent business partner within a fluid, fast moving and dynamic industry.
- A generalist background, with a particular depth/ experience in OD, designing change and management programs to support business change.
- Strong people and team skills with the ability to manage self and influence others in a constructive manner and to build long term relationships, always with a talent mindset;
- Excellent time management skills in order to effectively prioritise simultaneous demands from a variety of different sources and adapt and respond appropriately;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong creative problem solving and lateral thinking skills;
- Flexible and adaptable with a willingness to learn and ‘muck in’ where ever needed;
- Collaborative and astute – able to build trust and respect within our network;
- Be a MediaCom brand ambassador, truly immersed in the culture and direction of the business
- Ideally (although not necessary) has an understanding of the principles of media planning and buying, media agency client management and stakeholder negotiations and the talent required to fulfil these tasks;
- Degree level qualifications and/or continuing professional development to demonstrate competence in Human Resource/ Organisational Development with 7-10 years’ experience in a generalist capacity;
- A growing leader, ability to work on own initiative; pre-emptive and proactive; constantly thinking ahead; demonstrating a hands on and highly organised approach to all tasks;
MediaCom is the “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes. MediaCom is one of the world’s leading media communications specialists, with billings exceeding US$33 billion (Source: RECMA 2015). It employs 6,500 people in 125 offices across 100 countries around the globe. Its client roster includes P&G, VW Group, Dell and Universal. In 2015, MediaCom was recognised by RECMA as the leading global agency network in its Network Diagnostics report, and also was the first agency network to top all 3 key RECMA reports across EMEA. Also in 2015, MediaCom has been awarded Media Agency of the Year in the US by AdAge and Adweek, Agency of the Year in the UK by Campaign and The Drum, and Global Agency of the Year at the M&M Awards. The agency captured six Media Lions at the 2015 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, making it the top performer among all global media agency networks.
For more information, visit www.mediacom.com
Find us on Twitter @mediacomglobal.
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/MediaComGlobalNews.
Join us on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/mediacom.
GroupM leads and shapes media markets by delivering performance enhancing media products and services, powered by data and technology. Our global network agencies and businesses enable our people to work collaboratively across borders with the best in class, providing them the opportunity to accelerate their progress and development. We are not limited by teams or geographies; our scale and diverse range of clients lets us be more adventurous with our business and talent. We give our talent the space, support and tools to innovate and grow.
GroupM APAC is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our people are our strength so we respect and nurture their individual talent and potential.