Overview of job
Join one of the most inspring, high performing strategy teams in Australia. Mindshare’s Strategy team prides itself on original thinking.
Original thinking demands clarity, conviction and an open mind. That means we work in a space free of jargon, buzzwords and superficial tactics masked as ‘strategy’.
As the Strategy Director you will be responsible for developing transformative strategic media thinking and ideas across a diverse range of high profile clients. You’ll be expected to collaborate with teams across the agency to ensure these strategies are brought to life in the most innovative, impactful way possible. The Strategy Director is also responsible for driving the overall quality of product across the wider agency via training and coaching.
Our team is unique. As a Strategy Director you will have opportunities to:
- Shape our agency’s future by developing breakthrough strategic media thinking and ideas across a diverse range of global and local clients.
- Work with leading specialists in search, social, analytics and ideation to supercharge your insights and innovation.
- Be part of the team that delivered the most finalists and 3 Gold winners at the MFA Awards in 2017, including the Grand Prix.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Head of Strategy, Sydney.
Measures of success –
In three months, you would have:
- Familiarised yourself with the Mindshare Adaptive Marketing Framework, working practices and the key strategic tools and product differentiators available to the agency.
- Established a relationship with the key partners both internally and externally, including clients, Client Leaders, Investment Teams, Business Planning and other agency partners.
In six months, you would have:
- Developed an understanding of your client’s key communications challenges and identified opportunities to positively impact the client’s business.
- Presented a number of strategic recommendations that have led to a new approach in media and delivered opportunities for optimising existing approaches.
In 12 months, you would have:
- Established yourself as the client’s trusted advisor in all things related to communications strategy and beyond, bringing value to every client and agency partner interaction.
- Delivered a number of pieces of award-worthy work, bringing fresh insights and ground breaking innovation throughout the entire Paid, Owned & Earned connections architecture.
- Elevated the overall product offering of the agency by driving education and application of key methodologies and planning tools.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Inspires and motivates themselves, strategy team colleagues and the rest of the agency to think provocatively and deliver best in market product.
- Contributes positively to the culture and expertise of the wider agency through participation and leadership of relevant initiatives e.g. training on product and tools, facilitating brainstorms etc.
- Produces communications solutions to clients’ business problems that will deliver business growth.
- Applies the Adaptive Marketing Framework to build strategies that are grounded in data, insights and ultimately spark thinking that can be amplified through the line.
- Leverages own natural curiosity to bring unexpected thinking to the fore.
- Articulates the roles of channels clearly detailing how they bring the strategic thinking to life
- Uses effective storytelling techniques to sell through strategic thinking.
- Acts as a guardian of the work to ensure the campaign implementation remains true to the initial strategy.
- Builds a trusted and influential relationship with senior and day-to-day clients – gets under the skin of the client to understand their needs, wants, expectations and idiosyncrasies.
- Understands their clients’ category thoroughly and pro-actively keeps up to date with category developments.
- Builds influential relationships with media & tech partners to open up new opportunities for their client portfolio.
- Builds collaborative and respectful relationships with key agency partners to deliver best in class work.
- Assists Client Leader in identifying new revenue opportunities.
What you will need:
- A strong understanding of how media channels work together to drive advertising success.
- An open mind.
- Willingness to collaborate and draw in experts when needed.
- Creative media thinking.
- Ability to tell a compelling story through data, business context and human behaviour.
- Willingness to be hands on and a team player.
Apply now if you’re willing to see every brief as an opportunity for Original Thinking.
Original Thinkers change the world. Mindshare changed the industry when it became the first global media agency, launched in 1997. We took a chance and launched in Asia as opposed to the UK or US; and we were the first start-up WPP ever invested in. Original Thinking is in our DNA.
We are on a tireless mission to bring accountability to all aspects of marketing. To develop bold campaigns that both reflect and shape culture. To play with and develop new technology, making enormous investments toward the right solutions. To inspire each other, our clients, media owners and even our competitors to be audacious and never stop pushing our industry forward.
We have three company values that are the operating philosophies that guide our conduct:
- Teamwork – treat everyone with respect, be willing to help out, be a good collaborator respect the working environment and get involved with the agency outside of your day job.
- Provocation – have an informed POV, challenge the norm in the day-to-day, identify opportunities to do things differently.
- Speed – make decisions that utilise time efficiently, be quick to manage expectations, keep things moving, perform tasks in a timely manner and have the ability to be nimble and adaptive.
To learn more about Mindshare and our philosophy of Original Thinking, visit us at www.mindshareworld.com.
GroupM leads and shapes media markets by delivering performance enhancing media products and services, powered by data and technology. Our global network agencies and businesses enable our people to work collaboratively across borders with the best in class, providing them the opportunity to accelerate their progress and development. We are not limited by teams or geographies; our scale and diverse range of clients lets us be more adventurous with our business and talent. We give our talent the space, support and tools to innovate and grow.
GroupM APAC is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our people are our strength so we respect and nurture their individual talent and potential.